Born in Athens in 1952, Mr. Doukas is the son of Air Force General Giorgios Doukas, who was distinguished as the leader of the famed 335 Fighter Squadron - which fought in North Africa during WWII, equipped with Spitfires - and later headed the Civil Aviation Authority.
He has a Ph.D. in Economics from New York University. He studied Economics and International Relations at George Washington University (Bachelor of Arts), Management and Fiscal Relations at Columbia (MBA) and Economics at New York University (MA and Ph.D. in Economics).
From 1979 to 1985 he worked as an Economist and Currency Analyst for Citibank in New York, and also as Foreign Exchange Exposure Management Advisor, Foreign Exchange Dealer, and Money Market Dealer.
In 1986 he took over as Citibank Investment Banking Country Head and Country Treasurer for Greece, and in 1990 also took over as Country Head for the Institutional and Corporate Banking sectors.
From August 1992 to October 1993 he was Deputy Minister of Finance in the government of Konstantinos Mitsotakis, with the Public Debt and Public Assets among his responsibilities.
In 1994 he returned to Citibank, and in 1996 he founded Capital Partners S.A., which deals mainly in strategic partnerships and company takeovers and mergers.
In March 2004 he was elected deputy for the Precinct of Attica and was appointed Deputy Minister for the Economy and Finance, Head of the General Accounting Office. His responsibilities included the formulation and implementation of the Budget, Central Government Debt & Operations, Government Security Auctions, Public Trusts, Loans and Bonds, the Public Corporation for Moveable Assets, Subsidy Programs and Management of Public Funds, the State Bursar's and Payments Office (State Treasury), Fiscal Relations with the EU, Fiscal Validation of the Ministries, Prefectural Governments and Legal Entities under Public Statute and Civil Servants Pension Funds.
In September 2007 he was re-elected MP for Attica and appointed Deputy Foreign Minister for Economic Diplomacy.
He has also served as:
- Chairman of the Board of Netmed N.V. (Pay television group for the channels Nova, Filmnet, Supersport)
- Chairman of the Board of Ericsson Hellas
- Chairman of the Board of AGET Iraklis ( )
- Chairman of the Board of Capital Partners S.A.
- Co-Chairman of the Board of Directors of Pepsico-Ivi Hellas
- Financial Advisor for EFG-Eurobank-Ergasias Bank, Village Roadshow Hellas, Merrill Lynch International (London) and Sanwa Bank (London).
- Member of the Board of the Hellenic Corporate Management Company.
- Chairman of the Greek Golf Federation.
- Member of the Board of Anatolia College.
- Member of the Board and the Executive Committee of the "Konstantinos Karamanlis" Institute for Democracy.
- Member of the Board of the Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce.